Job Type: Ministerial
Reports To: Clinical Director
Position Description: In this full-time, benefited position, the RN serves in a nursing role, acting as an advocate and educator for the guest/ family/ caregiver. The purpose of this home is to improve care for all guests who are terminally ill and specifically to extend Christ’s love to those in need through compassionate end-of-life care, when dying at home is not an option.
• Pray daily for the needs of the guests, families, staff and volunteers at Porta Caeli House
• Provide quality end-of-life (EOL) nursing care to the guest/family/caregiver as prescribed by the hospice agency and in compliance with regulations as established by the Oklahoma State Board of Nursing, the guest’s preferences, and the policies of Porta Caeli House (PCH).
• Act as a liaison to the hospice agency and advocate for hospice patients admitted to PCH.
• Implement the hospice plan of care as prescribed by the hospice agency.
• Anticipate the guests’ needs including pain and symptom management as well as psychosocial and spiritual concerns and report any variances or needs to the hospice agency.
• Work collaboratively with hospice physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains and other medical professionals to provide quality EOL care to guests at PCH.
• Educate guests and their families about the hospice philosophy.
• Conduct a thorough guest assessment each shift in order to address any symptoms in a timely manner.
• Work with guests and families to help them gain the knowledge they need in preparation for the worsening condition and eventual death of the guest.
• Administer and account for all narcotic medications via shift counts and documentation.
• Provide routine personal care as requested by guest/family/caregiver in accordance with the mission of PCH.
• Complete accurate and timely documentation according to the policies of PCH.
• Provide clinical knowledge and guidance for undergraduate nursing students as directed by PCH administration.
• Notify the Clinical Director or On-Call Director of guest concerns, household issues or changes in scheduled assignments.
• Provide emotional and spiritual support to guests and their families during the dying process.
• Perform other relevant duties as requested/required.
• After receiving training, be able to articulate Catholic teaching with a commitment to its application in the job function
• Is a graduate of an accredited school of nursing; fluent in English
• Currently licensed as an RN through the Oklahoma State Board of Nursing
• Hospice and Palliative Care certification is preferred.
• Current Food Handlers Permit
• Past RN experience in end-of-life care and loss and grieving with at least 3 years of hospice, home health, medical/surgical or critical care experience. Has experience with providing good pain management
• Demonstrates clinical competency; ability to collaborate with others; ability to initiate, plan and self-direct own work activities; effective guest/family teaching
• Possesses and maintains good physical stamina and mental health
• Skilled in nursing practice, able to cope with family emotional stress and tolerant of individual lifestyles
• Has excellent observation, good nursing judgment and communication skills
• Is flexible and cooperative in fulfilling role obligation and has the ability to work within a team environment
• Has presented a pre-employment physician’s health clearance including a negative TB skin test and as required by PCH policy
• Commitment to the mission of Porta Caeli House
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand walk, stoop, kneel, and/or crouch.
• May be exposed to blood, body tissue and fluids, airborne contaminants, as well as other hazardous waste materials.
• The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds